*edited to add: PLEASE note that you cannot return your entire pump if it doesn’t work for you. You can get replacement parts sent to you, but you cannot return the entire thing if you decide you don’t like it.*
Silent. Cordless. Hasslefree. This is my kind of pump! Although I’m not an exclusive pumper, I do pump when we give Isla a bottle and times when I am away from Isla. Even with pumping minimally, it didn’t take me long to get tired of being stuck to cords from my previous pump.
After finding the Elvie, I was excited that this pump would allow me to freely pump without being tied down to cords. This review is long awaited. However, I wanted to truly have the time to use this pump and see how I really felt about it so I could give an honest review.
The Elvie comes with quite a few things which you will see below! You have the choice of purchasing one or two pumps. I personally have the double!
- 2 Hubs
- 4 Bottles (5oz each)
- 4 Storage Lids
- 2 Breast Shield (24mm)
- 2 Breast Shield (28mm)
- 4 Valves
- 4 Spouts
- 4 Seals
- 4 Bra Adjusters
- 2 USB Charging Cords
- 2 Carry Bags
I have had a very positive experience with the Elvie Breast Pump. I will go in to more detail at the bottom during the Q&A. I was nervous this pump wouldn’t work out. I had my hopes high and really hoped I would love it because of how much easier it would make pumping. The main reason I love this pump is because I have been able to pump grocery shopping, out to eat with family, showing homes, during home inspections, at office meetings, while cleaning my house, while playing with Isla, and so many more times that I wouldn’t of been able to pump if using my old pump. I have had one con. I have found that if you freshly wash your pump and don’t get every bit of moisture off of the parts, the suction will bot work correctly. Sometimes this means I am taking each part off, wiping them down, reattaching them OVER AND OVER. I’m not going to lie, it can be frustrating. Especially if you are in a hurry. But with that being said, the times I have had everything dry and ready ti go, I have gotten suction on the first try! SO I would say this is user error lol.
- Ensure you have the correct breast shield size. There is actually a guide on making sure you have the best fit. I ended up having to order the smaller breast shield that does not come with the pump.
- Ensure your bra fit is right. There should be no gaps between the Elvie Pump and your breast. It should be held securely in your bra.
- Stay upright while pumping to ensure you get the most out of your pumping session. This does NOT mean you have to sit completely still.
- Like said above, make sure all parts are completely dry before beginning your pumping session. That has been my only issue.
I don’t use the app. I did in the beginning but found that the accuracy in showing how much milk has been pumped is not correct. There is a timer as well, but I just keep track on my phone timer. The app is a good though, but it does need some work in my opinion.
- How much is it? This depends on if you choose a single or double. the single is $279 while the double is $499. Had I not received this product through collaboration, I would’ve purchased a single just to ensure I liked it.
- Is it covered by insurance? From what I have read, this depends on your insurance. It is best to contact your personal insurance carrier for questions.
- Why the Elvie over another pump? I would say because if the convience! Being able to pump whenever while doing whatever is a blessing in my opinion.
- Have you had any issues with it? Like mentioned above, I do get frustrated at the suction sometimes. But this is more so user error than the fault of the pump. I have read of people having issues with parts breaking. I have not had any issues yet, but will update this post if issues arise!
- Does it leak? Mine has not. I have bent over doing dishes and laundry and never lose a drop. Based on what I have read, if you experience leaking it is a faulty pump and needs to be addressed with Elvie’s customer service. Leaking should not happen!
- How much does one bottle hold? What happens if you over produce? One bottle holds 5oz. One thing I love about the Elvie is that if you get to 5oz, the pump will not overflow. It will stop and blink letting you know it’s full!
Final thoughts. Would I recommend?
Based on my experience thus far, I would 100% recommend the Elvie Pump. As with any product, not everyone will have a perfect experience. I hope I continue to love mine and have no issues with it. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know in the comment box below!
*edited to add: as of the last few weeks I have began using my medela when at home because the Evlie is getting less productive. It never works the first time I try it and it honestly starts to piss me off because of that. I still love having it for when I am away from home, but that is now the only time I use it.*
Top: Vici Collection Blouse – sign up for restocks. Code KELSEYP20 works site wide for 20% off of your order!