Whether you’re about to have a baby, busy with your kid’s school schedules, or just sometimes don’t feel like preparing a meal and cooking – freezer meals will be your best friend. I had never premade THIS many meals before until early August. I had been told by so many people that having freezer meals will safe your life with a newborn baby. Everyone was right for sure. It was so nice those first few weeks to be able to throw something in the crock pot or into the oven. All you have to do is dedicate a couple days or one whole day to preparing each meal and you’ll be set.
Buckle up because this is going to be a long one!!
How I Got Started: to start, I got on Pinterest and did a ton of searching for good meals Derek and I would both like. I made sure to not only find dinner meals, but also meals for breakfast and lunch. I did a mix of things that could be put in to the oven, thrown in to the crock pit, or thrown on to the stove!
The Meals We Picked:
- Chicken & Veggie Freezer Packs
- Veggie Packs
- Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken, Broccoli, & Potato Bake
- Breakfast Sandwiches
- Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
- Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Cheesy Taco Bake
- Chicken Taquitos
- Breakfast Burritos
- Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Protein Pancakes
Instead of just making one meal each, I actually made quite a few of each. Specifically the veggie packs. They make for easy side dishes or you can just throw some chicken sausage in with it. I think I made 8-10 of those bags. If there is one thing I can recommend to make a ton of, it is the chicken taquitos! THEY ARE SO GOOD.
To keep things organized and to keep meals easy to find I used these free printable labels and attached them to each meal!
Chicken & Veggie Freezer Packs
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large zucchini sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- add any other veggies you like
- 1/2 cup of your favorite marinade (I used the below recipe)
- MARINADE: 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Divide Chicken and veggies into 4 quart size ziplock bags
- In a small bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients, divide marinade equally into ziplock bags.
- To cook, heat skillet to medium/high and sauté until tender and cooked. OR preheat oven to 425, line sheet pan with foil, put ingredients onto pan, roast for 15-20 minutes.
- All same veggie ingredients as above. Add in any others you love that are not listed.
- Make same marinade as above and follow same instructions
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Gallon sized baggie
- 2 pounds of chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tap paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Add all ingredients to baggie, remove as much air as possible, lay flat to freeze
- The night before cooking – move frozen bag to fridge to thaw
- The morning of, pour contents of bag into crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours
- Shred chicken and serve with onions and peppers
Chicken, Broccoli, and Potato Bake
- I eyeballed all ingredients on this meal. Just add however much you want of each item!
- Chicken breast cut into cubes
- Red potatoes cubed
- Cooked bacon crumbled
- Yellow onion diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever kind you like best)
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic powder
- Heavy cream
- Grease 2 8X8 foil baking pans
- Divide ingredients into half
- In both pans, layer ingredients in this order: potatoes, chicken, broccoli, bacon, onion, cheese
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- Repeat layers and seasoning
- Pour heavy cream over ingredients and add slices of butter all over dish
- Cover with foil
- Thaw overnight
- Bake covered for one hour or until chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese and bake 5-10 more minutes until cheese is bubbly.
Breakfast Sandwiches (makes 6)
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 slices bacon (turkey or regular), you can also do sausage
- 6 slices of cheese (your favorite kind)
- 6 English muffins (whole grain/wheat to make healthier)
- Heat the oven to 375
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and salt. Spray 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray, pour eggs into pan. Place on lowest rack. Bake until the eggs are puffed around the edges with golden spots, and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let cool
- Once eggs have cooled, Use a large cutter or drinking glass to cut 6 round eggs.
- Assemble the sandwiches
- Wrap each sandwich in foil. put all sandwiches into gallon sized baggie
- To heat: Unwrap the frozen sandwich and place on plate lined with paper towel. Heat 1 tp 1 1/2 minutes or until cheese is melted and the egg is warmed through
Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- Load all the ingredients into a gallon sized Ziplock bag, lay it flat, label and freeze
- CROCKPOT: Cook from frozen on low for 6 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked, or thaw overnight in the refrigerator overnight and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 16 oz jar salse verde
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 8 oz cream cheese ** NOT needed until the day of cooking
- Dump all the ingredients into the bag except the chicken. Put the chicken into the freezer bag LAST so that it’s the first thing that goes into the crockpot for cooking.
- To cook, dump the contents of the bag into the crockpot and cook on low 6-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 1/2 hour before the finish of cooking, add the cream cheese and let it heat for the remaining 1/2 hour.
Cheesy Taco Bake
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 oz lean ground beef
- Green pepper,chopped
- 1-2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 2 T Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½ tsp Thyme
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with spray, set aside.
- Boil brown rice in water on stovetop. Set aside
- In a 12” pan, spray with cooking spray, add onion, garlic & jalapeno & sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add ground beef, breaking it up as it browns. Cook for about 5 minutes & add peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add lime juice and seasonings. Stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from heat – add rice, tomato sauce, & 1/4 cup of cheese to the skillet and stir to mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish. Top with remaining Cheddar, cover, and freeze.
- To cook while frozen, cover with foil & bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil & bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted & edges are bubbling. Remove from oven & let cool for 10 minutes.
Chicken Taquitos – My personal favorite
- 8oz. cream cheese
- 3 c. chicken, cooked & shredded
- 1.5 c. shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 6oz. can green chilies or 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 20 small tortillas
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Melt cream cheese in a bowl. Mix in the spices, lime juice, chilies (or salsa), chicken, and cheese.
- Add 2 tbsp. of mixture to each tortillas and roll. Wrap in foil and place in to gallon size ziplock bag.
- When ready to cook, bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1 lb. bacon OR 1lb. ground sausage
- 1 package shredded cheddar cheese
- Veggies you like: onions, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers (etc-optional)
- 1 pack large tortillas
- Cook ingredients
- Lay tortilla on foil sheet and top with all ingredients, sprinkling cheese last
- Fold tortilla and wrap in foil. Place in to gallon zip lock baggie.
- To cook, microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Crockpot Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce can) Ro*Tel® Mild Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
- 1/2 cup salsa, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Juice of 2 limes
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder and garlic.
- Lay flat to freeze
- To cook, Place chicken mixture into a 6-qt slow cooker; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours. Stir in lime juice.
- Kodiak Cakes
- Cook pancakes as directed
- Toss on to paper plate and place the plate in the freezer for 15 min to cool.
- Put all pancakes in to gallon ziplock baggies
- To cook, pop them in the toaster
I hope you find this to be as helpful as I did! Like I said, it doesn’t matter if you’re a soon to be new mom, busy working a 9-5, I just sometimes want a homemade meal without the hassle of cooking. Freezer meals are for anyone and everyone!
Make sure to comment below and let me know what you are excited to try!