- This is the original list. I * the things I am very happy I had. It does not mean not to pack the others. Those items are just what I used during our stay!
Part of me feels like I packed my hospital bag just yesterday and part of me feels like it was a lifetime ago! If you’re new here, Isla was born in August! However, I did not create a blog website until January 2020, so I am playing catch up on big things! To this day, I still get messages about what I packed in our bags and what I actually used. I looked at multiple bag guides and asked my closet friends for their advice!
FYI, I am one of those overpacker people. I would rather be prepared then wish I would’ve brought something. To be honest, I have never said, “ugh I wish I wouldn’t of overpacked.” I also did not want to have to have my parents or someone go to my house 35 minutes away from the hospital to grab anything.
- * 2 Robes: I am a big robe girl, Turns out, I loved them in the hospital as well. I only wore one of them, but took two just in case I got any blood on one.
- * Functional Button PJ Set: I did wear this and I was semi surprised because I had been told you won’t feel like wearing any shorts or pants after depending on your tear/trauma. I wore this during the day because there were always guests!
- Button Night Gown: I took this in case I didn’t want pants on. It did not get worn in the hospital or at home after.
- * Nursing Bras: Love these amazon ones!! Still wearing them 4.5 months later.
- * Outfit for Going Home: I took this dress. It was 100 degrees out! For cooler weather, I would’ve done a comfy pair of joggers!
- * Slippers: Wore these anytime I got up! be sure to get some with a grip on the bottom.
- Socks: I know hospitals are usually chilly, but I never wore these.
- Below are Items the hospital TYPICALLY provides. however, I was warned by a few ladies that their hospital was out of certain things and it made it a little miserable. IMO, be prepared, and take your own.
- Always Discreet Underwear: I loved the hospital mesh panties. By day 3 of being home I was back in maternity undies. Never used these.
- Frida Momwasher: you will want this for at home
- Perineal Spray: loved this brand
- * Light Makeup/hair tools: optional of course. Putting on a little light makeup just made me feel more put together. I went in to the hospital with curled hair so I did not end up needing to fix it.
- * Nipple Cream: I do not miss those early day cracked nipples lol.. I would always hand express some milk after a feeding, rub it in, then add nipple cream on top.
- Nipple Pads: Your milk doesn’t usually come in until after you’re home. These were not needed
- Belly Band: This did not fit me right away in the hospital. But by the time I got home, I started wearing this!
- * Toiletries: shampoo & conditioner (you feel like a new woman after that first shower), body wash, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup remover, hair brush, pony tails, lotion.
- Shower shoes: This was recommended but I didn’t use any
- Cup: I took my favorite cup, but ended up just using the hospital cup!
- ID and Insurance Card
- 2 Outfits: I made sure to add one long sleeve and one pair of sweats in case he was cold.
- Pajamas: Derek wore shorts
- Toiletries: same as mom, minus the girly stuff lol
- Energy Drinks
- Comfy Fitted Sheet: to go on the lovely couch Derek had to sleep on. He ended up loving to sleep in the recliner.
- * 2-3 Swaddles: I think I ended up with about 5 swaddles with matching bows. Only because I could not decide on her first picture outfit haha.
- Plain White bodysuits/onesies: Turns out, our hospital makes baby stay in their hospital onesie. The only time Isla was not in that was for her announcement picture.
- * Bows: She actually only wore a bow like one time. Majority of the time she had a top knot on to keep her head warm.
- Scratch Mittens: we have never used these
- * Boppy Pillow: Loved having this
- * Going Home Outfit: I knew even before we knew Isla was Isla that this would be what was worn home!
- * Travel Sound Machine: We used this at night from the get go and to this day she loves her sound machine
- * Pacis: Our pedi is pro paci PTL. However, a couple lactation consultants were not happy with me when they saw these. Who cares, you do you! I put a paci in isla’s mouth on night two because she was latching for comfort.
- Burp Rag: Didn’t really need these. She didn’t spit up much then
- * First Picture Props: We had this name sticker
- * Baby Book Box: I love this box. I wanted Isla’s footprints in this which is why we took it.
- * Soft Blanket: We love Little Giraffe
- * Towels From Home: Get 2 towels (I bought 2 from Target), one for you and one for hubby. Make them better quality than hospital towels, but towels you don’t mind just leaving there. A pediatric nurse recommended this to me!
- * Pillow From Home: Optional, but it helped with feeling like I was at home.
- * Toilet Paper: I DESPISE cheap toilet paper. Granted, post baby I was not rubbing toilet paper on me, but for guests and Derek, this was good. Also recommended by a nurse.
- * Long Charger Cords: Must have
- * Polaroid Camera: I never use this, but I wanted polaroid pictures of each guest with her in the hospital.
- * Music Speaker: I loved having this during labor. I created a worship playlist and it kept me so calm. My OB actually commented that he loved the music.
- * Snacks: This was great for Derek and guests while I was in labor (even though I was jealous because so hungry). Then I snacked after she was born!
- * Thank You Box for Nurses: If there is one thing you take away from this, IT SHOULD BE THIS. They were so so excited. Nurses do not get enough credit. I took one box for day shift and one for night shift. Hint, according to nurse friends “please please add healthy options.” Here are some things I added:
- Protein Bars
- Veggie Straws
- Cheeze Its
- Starbucks Drinks: Frappuccino glasses can be found at the store. This was the favorite for them.
- * Chapstick
- * Glade Plug In: everyone noticed how good it smelled. Felt like home. *get nurse permission before plugging this in.*
- * Comfy Blanket: I took yam barefoot dreams blanket and I am so glad I did.
- Firestick: I can’t even remember if we used this or if we were too busy with company
WOW WEE, are you still there?! If you have made it this far, I hope this list helps you! I did not feel like I was missing anything and there was not a single thing I wish I would’ve had.